Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Really Important Message From the Heart

Writing is a love of mine.  I wish I had more courage to pursue it further, but for now, I enjoy my chance to blog and be snarky on Facebook.  What I really wish to do some day is write something that matters to just one other person.  To get just one other person to nod their head while they are reading because they have felt what I felt.  To get just one person to see things differently.  Maybe even get someone to think about things they've never pondered before.  (No big deal.  Just a small dream I have.)

To be a good writer, I believe you have to read a lot.  I read books, magazines, on line articles, and blogs.  Some of my favorite blogs are written by other mothers.  Motherhood is such a tough and great thing.  There are as many different views and opinions as there are mothers.  I think it does us all good to read or hear why another mom does what she does or thinks what she thinks.  We may not all agree, but we can all learn from each other.

And sometimes when I read, I read to find someone whose heart has hurt like mine.  Reading the intimate fears and concerns of another person can make you feel like fast friends.  It is through this kind of writing that I found the mamapundit blog.  Katie is the mother of five and works outside the home.  She is a strong advocate of attachment parenting and lives in Knoxville, TN.  She is funny and truthful.  She seems kind. 

Unfortunately she belongs to one of the worst clubs-Parents Who Have Lost Children.  It is a sucky club; trust me, but when you meet another member, you take on their child as another angel to pray for.  And today I'm asking you to pray for Katie's lost son, Henry.

Please read as much as you can on her site.  Henry was a beautiful boy (Yes, at 18, still a boy) who lost a terrible fight with drug addiction.  Katie and the rest of his family knows his choices led him down the path he was on, but he is not solely to blame for his death.  See, there are people in this world who are just looking for sweet kids like Henry who are struggling.  These people do not see them as someone's son, just as another user.  So, they figure it's okay to take advantage of them.  And in Henry's case, they gambled right because not only are they getting away with their part in his tragedy, they even have the police calling them 'Good Samaritans' when they are in fact purveyors of nasty things.  These people need to be stopped for Henry and for the next son or daughter they may come in contact with. 

Please read and share this story.  It is up to us to protect our kids.  Even the ones who make mistakes.

No comments: